Carrots play very well with oranges. In this Carrot orange marmalade muffins recipe the flavour of orange is amplified by the orange marmalade. They are tender, light and not too sweet. For an extra crunch, add lightly toasted nuts before you put the muffins into the oven. If you want light and airy muffins, do not over-mix.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 22 minutes
Yields: 12 muffins
- 150g cake flour
- 120g whole wheat flour
- 120g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 375g tightly packed grated carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 190ml buttermilk
- 80ml canola oil or sunflower oil
- Preheat oven to 189°C (374°F) and lightly grease the openings of a 12-hole muffin tray.
- Measure the dry ingredients into a large bowl, except the grated carrots. Mix and make a well in the centre.
- Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl and add to the dry ingredients and mix. Add the carrots and mix until just moistened. Do not over-mix.
- Divide evenly between the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the toasted nuts, if using.
- Bake for 20 – 22 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely.
For more recipes with these individual ingredients click on any of these tags below:
Read our Food24 Interview here.